Interfraternity Council Recruitment
Recruitment is your chance to take a look at the recognized IFC fraternities at AppState. Recruitment allows you to learn about what these fraternities do and what they're all about. If you're even slightly interested or curious, take a moment and check it out to see for yourself. Just because you go to a Recruitment event doesn't mean that you have to join a fraternity.
The Fall 2022 Fraternity and Sorority Life Cookout will be held on Saturday, August 20th from 4-6pm on Sanford Mall.
- All potential new members must register to participate in fraternity recruitment. Registration will open on August 1, 2022 and close at midnight on Sepetmber 21, 2022.
- Beginning with the first day of classes through Bid Day, potential new members will not be allowed at any fraternity social events except sanctioned recruitment events.
- Potential new members may attend any fundraisers as long as they pay admittance.
- Potential new members cannot accept a bid until Bid Day. Bid Day is on September 22, 2022.
- Fraternities may continue to recruit after Bid Day. Anyone wishing to receive a bid must complete an Academic Verification Form on Engage if they have not previously registered for Fall 2022 Recruitment.
- All fraternity recruitment events will be non-alcoholic (dry).
- First semester students must have a cumulative high school grade point average of 3.0 to participate in fraternity recruitment.
- Students who have completed hours at Appalachian must have achieved a cumulative grade point average of 2.7 to participate in Recruitment.
- Transfer students are eligible to participate in fraternity recruitment their first semester at Appalachian. A transcript from a previous institution will need to be provided as part of the application process.
Things to Know for Recruitment
- Be yourself. There is nothing more important than being yourself during recruitment. You will end up with the right fraternity for you, and you will be happy with your decision.
- Check out each fraternity. It is important to make an effort to look at each fraternity individually. All potential new members should attend IFC Recruitment Kickoff so you can get an opportunity to meet members from every fraternity on campus.
- Take your time. Joining a fraternity is a momentous decision. Be sure that the fraternity that has given you a bid is one you will be happy with.
- Dry Recruitment. Alcohol is not allowed at any recruitment activity. Inter/National, university, and IFC policies stipulate that all activities associated with fraternity recruitment remain alcohol-free. Violation of this rule is a serious infraction and the guilty chapter is subject to disciplinary action.
- Ask questions. Make sure all your questions are sufficiently answered. By asking questions you will be able to find out more about each fraternity and its members.
- Dress casual for the Kickoff. Dress for most recruitment events will be casual. Some chapters make it more formal towards the end of recruitment. Just be sure to ask if you're not sure.
The Following Organizations are currently not recognized by the University and thus cannot recruit:
Pi Kappa Phi (Pi Kap or PKP) - Suspended due to violations of the Organizational Code of Conduct and National Policies in 2019. Eligible to Petition in 2023.
Delta Chi (D Chi) - Suspended due to violations of Organizational Code of Conduct and National Policies in 2020. University recognition completely revoked in 2021