The university remains open and is actively engaged in maintaining the safest possible learning and work environment.
Click here for the latest university COVID-19 updates.
For details about Student Affairs operations, see the Student Affairs Covid-19 Response. Updated June 10, 2020 at 8:20 a.m.
Interfraternity Men's Recruitment
Recruitment is your chance to take a look at the recognized IFC fraternities at AppState. Recruitment allows you to learn about what these fraternities do and what they're all about. If you're even slightly interested or curious, take a moment and check it out to see for yourself. Just because you go to a Recruitment event doesn't mean that you have to join a fraternity.
IFC KickOff Cookout on 8/30/2020 on Sanford Mall 1pm - 4pm
Informational Sessions on 8/31/2020 and 9/1/2020 at 7pm in Blue Ridge Ballroom (see details below)***
- All potential new members must register with the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life to participate in fraternity recruitment
- Registration opens on 4/29/2020 and will close at 12 Noon on 8/26/20
- All those participating in Recruitment must attend a Potential New Member Information Session***. They will be held on:
- Monday, August 31, 2020 at 7pm in Blue Ridge Ballroom (Plemmons Student Union)
- Tuesday, September 1, 2020 at 7pm in Blue Ridge Ballroom (Plemmons Student Union)
- Business Casual Attire!
- Light Appetizers will be served. Scholarship opportunities will be offered. All recognized fraternities of Appalachian State University will be present and will be providing their recruitment schedules. ***MUST ATTEND one session in order to receive a Bid.
- Business Casual Attire!
- Beginning with the first day of classes through Bid Day, potential new members will not be allowed at any fraternity social events except sanctioned recruitment events.
- Potential new members may attend any fundraisers as long as they pay admittance.
- Potential new members cannot accept a bid until Balloting/Bid Day. Bid Day is September 11, 2020 and will be dry.
- Fraternities may continue to recruit after Bid Day. Anyone wishing to receive a bid must complete an Academic Verification Form on AppSync if they have not previously registered for Fall 2020 Recruitment.
- All fraternity recruitment events will be non-alcoholic (dry).
- Freshman (first semester students) must have a cumulative high school grade point average of 3.0 to participate in fraternity recruitment.
- Men who have completed hours at Appalachian, must have achieved a cumulative grade point average of 2.7 to participate in Recruitment.
- Transfers are eligible to participate in fraternity recruitment their first semester at Appalachian. A transcript from a previous institution will need to be provided as part of the application process.
Things to Know for Recruitment
- Be yourself. There is nothing more important than being yourself during recruitment. You will end up with the right fraternity for you, and you will be happy with your decision.
- Check out each fraternity. It is important to make an effort to look at each fraternity individually. All potential new members should attend IFC Recruitment Kickoff so you can get an opportunity to meet members from every fraternity on campus.
- Take your time. Joining a fraternity is a momentous decision. Be sure that the fraternity that has given you a bid is one you will be happy with.
- Dry Recruitment. Alcohol is not allowed at any recruitment activity. Inter/National, university, and IFC policies stipulate that all activities associated with fraternity recruitment remain alcohol free. Violation of this rule is a serious infraction and the guilty chapter is subject to disciplinary action.
- Ask questions. Make sure all your questions are sufficiently answered. By asking questions you will be able to find out more about each fraternity and its members.
- Dress casual for the Kickoff. Dress for most recruitment events will be casual. Some chapters make it more formal towards the end of recruitment. Just be sure to ask if you're not sure.
The Following Organizations are currently not recognized by the University:
Tau Kappa Epsilon (TKE) - Suspended for violating the Organizational Code of Conduct and FSL Social Policy through January 2018.
Pi Kappa Alpha (Pike) - Suspended in 2011 for Hazing. University recognition completely removed/revoked in 2013 due to continued hazing activity and social misconduct. The National Organization has not revoked their charter; however, the chapter is not allowed to use University facilities, recruit on campus, participate in Greek-wide events including Greek Week and socials/mixers with our recognized organizations, and they do not have the resources or the advising that all other fraternities have through the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life.
Sigma Phi Epsilon (aka "Xi Society" or Sig Ep) - Removed for Social Misconduct and Hazing. (Sigma Phi Epsilon is also no longer recognized by their National organization and were requested to cease all fraternal activitiy including recruitment)
Phi Kappa Tau (PKT) - Suspended due to violations of the Organizational Code of Conduct in October 2018. Eligible to petition in Fall 2020.
Pi Kappa Phi (Pi Kap or PKP) - Suspended due to violations of the Organizational Code of Conduct and National Policies in 2019. Eligible to Petition in 2023.