The Interfraternity Council was established at Appalachian State University in 1973 as the governing body of the men's social fraternities. The IFC currently recognizes 15 fraternities on the AppState campus, and is comprised of ten executive members and two delegates from each chapter. Even though each fraternity is unique, the IFC helps to unify the individual chapters to make the fraternity community stronger. The IFC promotes scholarship, community service, social development, public relations, personal development, risk management, and cooperation among the men's organizations. Recruitment of new members begins with recruitment during the first few weeks of each semester. Be sure to follow the Interfraternity Council Instagram page @AppstateIFC to stay up to date on all fraternity events.
Interfraternity Council Executive Officers
Vice President of Risk Management
Vice President of Administration and Finance
Vice President of Membership
Vice President of Community Relations
Vice President of Communications
Vice President of Academics
Vice President of New Member Services
University Statement On New NIC Affiliated Organizations
Based on the recommendation of the Appalachian State University Interfraternity Council and with the support of University administration, Appalachian State University will not review any applications for colonization of new NIC-Affiliated organizations before July 2020. At which time, the organization is required to follow the Fraternity and Sorority Life Expansion and Recolonization Policy outlined below.
Recognized Interfraternity Association Fraternities
Fraternities help to complement a student's education process by providing opportunities for leadership, social interaction, brotherhood, and academic growth. Fraternities are also an important part of the University, and often provide the campus with leaders in many areas.
|Kappa Alpha||Alpha Epsilon Pi||Alpha Sigma Phi|
|Alpha Tau Omega||Kappa Sigma||Sigma Nu|
|Delta Chi||Phi Gamma Delta||Theta Chi|
|Delta Sigma Phi||Lambda Chi Alpha||Pi Kappa Phi|
|Delta Tau Delta||Phi Sigma Kappa||Sigma Alpha Epsilon|
Organizations currently under sanctions with the University and/or National Office:
- Alpha Tau Omega - Univeristy Probation and Social Restriction until May 2020 due to not meeting ATLAS Requirements 4 out of 5 Semesters.
- Sigma Alpha Epsilon - University Probation and Social Restriction until December 2020 due to not meeting ATLAS Requirements 4 out of 5 Semesters and Social Probation violation.
- Theta Chi - Social Probation until December 2019 due to Social Misconduct and policy violation.
- Kappa Alpha Order - Under National Disciplinary Probation through April 29, 2020 due to social probation violation.
The Following Organizations are no longer recognized by the University:
- Pi Kappa Alpha - Removal of Recognition in 2013 due to social misconduct and hazing.
- Sigma Phi Epsilon (Xi Society) - Suspension in place since 2011.
- Tau Kappa Epsilon - Organizational Suspension originally issued has now been changed to removal of recognition due to concers about persistent pattern of concerning conduct during their suspension period. Chapter may petition to return as an expansion chapter in 2023.
- Phi Kappa Tau - Suspended due to violations of the Organizational Code of Conduct in October 2018. Eligible to petition in Fall 2020.
- Pi Kappa Phi - Charter Revoked by National Office in November 2019 due to National Policy and University Policy Violations.